I recently picked up two Judge Dredd minis. They came with round bases, but I had two spare hex bases left over from my "Box of the '80's." Seemed like I could put them to use to help make these two Judges stand out.
Now, my bases vary from "sand and grit" to "grit and sand" and the occasional piece of slate that broke off from my front walkway. Wanting to change things up a bit, I figured I'd make use of all the scrap plastic bits piled up on my workbench. Having a bit of a Space Hulk jones, I wanted to do a rusty, catwalk, derelict spaceship sort of base for the judges.
And here we go:
|Slathered on crazy glue to the top of the bases, stuck it to some thin plasticard.|
|Did a rough cut, but not too close to the edges, as I didn't want to junk up my scissors with glue.|
|Once the glue dried, I trimmed the plasticard and filed it flush.|
|Since these minis are slotta based, I cut channels into the plasticard, cutting from the bottom up.|
|Not a bad fit.|
|Twice as nice.|
|On top of the Plasticard I glued some granny grating, a strip of plasticard with the rivets added, and some scrap automotive wire I had lying around.|
|Trimmed everthing flush with my cheapo flush cutters (from Harbor Freight - gosh, I'm cheap).|
|Grey primer. $.99 a can.|
|Prime Time! O.k., that was a bit lame.|
|Painted a basecoat of Delta Ceramcoat black. Maybe I should have just primed in black to start.|
|While the second wash was still wet, I added my home-made black ink wash (1 part black ink, 1 part matte medium, 5 parts water - its pretty dark so sometimes I water it down more). I layered the black wash around the wire and in some random patterns.|
|Here's the wash, all dried, nice and flat. I used to use Future floor polish as the base of my main wash recipe, but it always dried with a heavy gloss effect. I'm much more happy with using matte medium, as it dries . . . well, matte.|
|Look out Perps, these Judges are now ready for action! At least they will be when they're painted up.|
Thanks for stopping by!