Friday, August 22, 2014

Night Goblins into Hobgoblins (Part Two) . . . or Hobgoblins in Pantaloons

An attempt at adding a chaos symbol to a hat.  No worries, I'll just fix it in post production (i.e. paint over it).
Following a night of putting some goblin mini's on the rack, I arose in gleeful anticipation of finishing the job.  Unfortunately, it turns out greenstuff doesn't stick to plastic as easily as I'd hoped.  So, everything kind of fell apart.  Mostly, I was able to crazy glue the bits back together, but it was all a bit messier than I had hoped.

And, I also learned why people use metal wire framework for building up greenstuff.  Getting the legs together was so difficult, I wound up with giant greenstuff legs.  I just went with it, deciding they sort of looked like baggy pants.  

So, here we go:
I drilled holes in the torso, so the greenstuff would have something to grab onto.
I smoothed on more greenstuff to lengthen the leg and create a thigh.  However, the greenstuff on the lower leg decided it no longer wanted to do it's job, and promptly fell off.  
I sort of smooshed the legs into the torso holes, but the holes should have been larger.
This one started off looking pretty good.
Not bad from the back.
Here, you can see a leg breaking away . . .
. . . which resulted in overcompensating with more greenstuff.
Yikes.  What's he wearing?
And, after much playing around and restuffing greenstuff, here's how they wound up.  Not exactly what I was going for, but, hey, first time and all. 


With shields.
So, here's a few things I learned:

  1. Once Greenstuff dries, it tends to pop off plastic.  Next time, I'll try sculpting some of the pieces such that they can easily be glued onto the mini, instead of trying to sculpt directly to the mini.
  2. Next time, I'm going to use cutoffs of a paperclip to build a wire frame and build the greenstuff around it, for appendages like legs.
  3. The rumors are true - this stuff is very sticky and you need to keep your hands and tools wet.  Also, it attracts fingerprints like crazy.
  4. Having fun is more important than perfection.
That's it for now.  I'm hoping that a mediocre paint job will soon help cover up an exceedingly poor sculpt!


2 comments:

  1. Your optimism and honesty is refreshing! Many people act as if sculpting with greenstuff is the most natural thing in the world. In reality, if you've never used it, it's unlike anything you've ever sculpted with. On metal minis it's one thing, but you're totally right about plastics... and about fingerprints!

    Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good start ! Yes, Green sstuf does stick a lot and often more to what you don't want it to stick to than to what you do want it to stick to...
    Good thing about green stuff is you can learn quickly and th eonly thin that counts is patience, I often realise I end up ruining a very good job just because I wanted to add another step whereas I sohould have just let it cure... rubber brushes are a must to erase all those nasty finger prints too.

    I hope to see those get some paint soon.

    ReplyDelete