Sunday, November 9, 2014

Apocalypse (more or less) Battle Report


Over the last week, my 12 year old and I played out an Ultramarines vs. Grey Knights battle, featuring fortress walls and a half-completed scratch-built Warhound Titan, using the 6th edition 40 ruleset.  Here's the comic-style battle report, followed by some additional notes about the game.


















So, consider this a "preview" of my scratch-built titan.  I was hoping to do a few posts about it before any kind of reveal, but I couldn't wait to get it on the table.  I taped some cardboard tubes and sticks on as weapons, (turbo laser and mega bolter) just for the game.  I'll do more on building the titan later.

As far as the game went, it was fun, though the Titan just sort of stood there and shot at the wall for a few rounds.  Not sure what else Titans need to do, given the 96" range of turbo lasers.  I gave each section of the wall 4 structure points.

The Librarian's Gate of Infinity jump at the very end of the game felt a bit contrived, but a great cinematic end to the game.

One of the issues playing with kids is that you'll need to deal with the rules for both sides.  Given the amount of page-flipping the (poorly organized) rules require, each turn took about 45 minutes to an hour.  As such, it was difficult to play more than one or two rounds at a time, given the attention span of a 12 year old.  We played a few times over the last week, instead of all at once.  I'd love to hear from someone on whether the rule set for Flames of War are better organized and, if so, how so.  I've heard the FOW ruleset is very similar to 40k.

We're still playing on past the 6th turn, as my son wants to bring down the Titan.  We're going to use the scatter die to see which way it falls, and hopefully it will crush a bunch of guys so my son can get revenge.

That's all for now, hope you enjoyed the comic!

No comments:

Post a Comment